Workplace injuries are serious incidents that employers must take every precaution to prevent.
Health and safety is a serious business. In case you need to spell out to members of your organisation just how important keeping on top of it is, the HSE have published their annual work place H & S report for 2019 -2020.
And it makes stark reading. There were 111 workplace fatalities during the period. And in a Labour Force Survey 693,000 UK workers reported having sustained a non-fatal workplace injury from 2019-20.
Leading causes of non-fatal injuries in 2019-20 included:
- Slips, trips or falls – 29%.
- Handling, lifting or carrying – 19%
- Struck by an object – 11%
The HSE also released data on which industries have the highest rates of workplace injuries have the highest rates of workplace injuries, which were:
- Agriculture, forestry and fishing
- Accommodation and food services activities
Health and safety at work: Vital statistics 2020
Overall picture in Great Britain…
- 1.6 million work-related ill health cases (new or long-standing) in 2019/20.
- 0.7 million workers sustaining a non-fatal injury in 2019/20.
- 38.8 million working days lost due to work-related ill health and non-fatal workplace injuries in 2019/20.
Health at work…
- 800,000 work-related stress, depression or anxiety cases (new or long-standing) in 2019/20.
- 500,000 work-related musculoskeletal disorder cases (new or long-standing) in 2019/20.
- 12,000 lung disease deaths each year estimated to be linked to past exposures at work.
- 111 fatal injuries to works in 2019/20
- 2,446 mesothelioma deaths in 2018 with a similar number of lung cancer deaths linked to past exposures to asbestos.
Costs to Britain…
- £16.2 Billion annual cost of work-related injury and now cases of ill health in 2018/29, excluding long-latency illness such as cancer.
For additional risk management guidance and related insurance solutions visit our risk management center, where you can access more information.
You may also be concerned about the the potential disruption that could be caused to your business by an unannounced HSE Inspection? Plan offer affordable HSE Inspection Assistance cover. There are numerous benefits including cover against potential Fee For Intervention charges. Read more at the link above or speak with our team for further details.