Plumbing & Heating Contractors Insurance

Plumbing Insurance Without Any Drips

Managing your plumbing and heating contractor business will be a time consuming affair. Making certain that your staff deliver high quality work and avoid wasted time requires a great multitasking skills.

Avoid Leaky Cover with Quality Plumbing & Heating Contractors Insurance.

Let Plan fully protect your team and ensure each element of insurance has been appropriately evaluated. Keep your plumbing and heating business’s interests safe with Plan’s effective approach to plumbing and heating contractors insurance.

You will benefit from:

  • Competitive premiums from extensive insurer markets
  • Free risk management – health and safety templates, method assessments, business continuity plans and more – included free with your policy
  • Expert advice based on over 30 years’ experience
  • Multi award winning customer service

Call us on 0800 954 0778 to speak to one of our specialist advisors or request a call back.


  • Plumbing contractors
  • Heating contractors
  • Commercial contractors
  • Domestic contractors
  • Adverse risks
  • Firms of all sizes
  • Ventilation engineers
  • Air conditioning engineers
  • HVAC insurance
  • Refrigeration


Below we have compiled some commonly asked questions that explain the key features of Plumbing & Heating Contractors Insurance, from essential elements of insurance to optional add-ons, to ensure that you and your business have the right cover.

If you have any more questions or would like a quote call our expert team, request a call back or fill in a quote form.

As a Plumbing & Heating Contractor, what insurance does my business need legally?

If you have employees or utilise contractors and/or temporary workers it is a legal requirement to take out employers’ liability insurance. This will cover potential claims from employees that may be injured or fall seriously unwell in the course of their work.

The importance of public liability insurance for plumbing, heating and ventilation engineering companies should not be overlooked. This will protect your business if a third party is injured or their property incurs damage due to the fault of your company. Public liability can be arranged at various sum levels. Most often firms require cover between £1 million and £5 million in protection.

Plan have a host of insurance solutions for motor vehicle cover that you and your employees will require to drive on UK roads for business purposes.

There are a number of other protections that your firm should consider such as those outlined below. Please ask your account executive for more information.

What risk assessment services are available?

As a plumbing and heating company you know the know the importance of managing risks. Having suitable Plumbing & Heating Contractors Insurance in place along with correct, up to date health and safety documentation is vitally important. It will help you minimise risk and any liability that could have a huge impact on your company’s reputation and income.

We can now offer our plumbing and heating clients bespoke health & safety documents, risk assessments, method statements and much more to help your business prevent avoidable incidents. These additional documents are supplied to you at no extra cost when you take out a policy with Plan.

Our free service includes business continuity templates that can be updated annually. Use them as a guide and keep on top of your business operations. You will also receive regular notifications regarding business legislation changes that are relevant to your plumbing and heating firm.

What important details do I need to look out for in my Plumbing & Heating Contractors Insurance Policy?

Your expert account executive at Plan Insurance Brokers will complete a thorough fact find to understand your company’s requirements. This process will reveal any important elements of cover that need to be arrange to meet the specific needs of your Plumbing & Heating business.

Amongst many other elements your cover will be based on: your plumbing, heating and ventilation companies specific trade activities, your number of employees, turnover, if you rent or own your premises (if it’s the latter buildings insurance cover may be needed), value of your equipment, where it’s stored, previous claims experience etc.

Your account executive will guide you through the various options available and proceed based on your preference. Once your policy documents are delivered you should still take the time to fully review them. Careful consideration will make sure that you understand any significant exclusions.

Need more details? Hear more about your business cover options from our expert team in a quick set of videos. Just choose the cover you’re interested in and get some expert insight into how each option can help your business. You can also check out our business insurance FAQs.

Do you cover plumbing, heating and ventilation work at both domestic and commercial properties?

Plan Insurance Brokers work with an open market of leading providers of insurance for plumbing, heating and ventilation engineering companies. They offer able plumbing, heating and ventilation insurance for domestic as well as commercial work at industrial premises.  Your company may wish to mix its trading activity between the two. Your policy will simply be amended to insure your firm is covered above the 70kW that is currently standard in residential properties. Provisions can also be made to protect your plumbing, heating and ventilation company if it wishes to accept contracts to work higher risk commercial settings such as airports and underground locations.

Do your policies cover working with gas and meet the requirements to classed as Gas safety registered insurance?

You will be covered for plumbing work that involves gas as long as you specify this activity and are a gas-safe registered contractor. We will arrange cover that meets the requirements of the gas-safe register. If you carry out extensive gas work your account executive will source a suitable insurer to provide cover for this activity on your policy.

Is insurance for HVAC and refrigeration work available?

Cover for heating, ventilation and air conditioning trade activities will be arranged by your personal account executive at Plan Insurance Brokers as long as you specify this requirement when completing your initial fact find.

Are both labour-only sub-contractors and PAYE staff covered by our plumbing and heating firm’s employer’s liability policy?

Cover will be in place for both worker statuses under your plumbing and heating company’s employer’s liability policy. Although, it’s vital that you accurately state the nature of your plumbing and heating employment. This declaration informs how the risk presented by your business risks is evaluated and in turn an appropriate premium is worked out.

What specific risks does plumbing and heating contractors’ insurance cover?

Amongst standard covers offered to other allied trades plumbing and heating engineers’ insurance should provide protection against damage and potential or injury caused to third parties involving the use of heat equipment such as a blowtorches or blowlamps.

Tailored plumbing and heating insurance policies should also be extended to cover risks connected to working with gas and the hazards associated with HVAC and refrigeration activities.

Can my plumbing and heating business pay for its insurance in monthly instalments?

An affordable direct debit facility should be available for your company to spread its insurance payments into multiple instalments. Please ask your account executive for more information.

Average Customer Rating: