How to generate your Driving Licence Summary
Whenever you’re taking out a new insurance policy with Plan Insurance, you will be asked to provide a driving licence summary, which confirms any information regarding your driving convictions, something which all insurers require.
This comes after changes were made by the DVLA in 2015, where they scrapped driving licences’ paper counterparts, instead putting all licence information on a secure online database.
You can see your licence information here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence.
How do I generate a driving licence summary?
We’ve put together a step-by-step guide for you to follow:
1. Visit https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence - you will need your driving licence number (example in the picture below), National Insurance number (seen in payslips, P60s, tax returns and national insurance cards) and the postcode displayed on your driving licence
2. Click ‘Start now’
3. Enter your driving licence number, National Insurance number and postcode as displayed on your driving licence (it is not case-sensitive)
5. Click ‘View now’. You will then be able to view your driving licence details, including any penalty points you may have. There are four options at the top of the page
6. Click ‘Get your check code’
7. Click ‘Get a code’
8. Your check code will then clearly be displayed
In order for us to confirm your details are correct, we need you to give us this code or provide the full driving licence summary document.
You will have the option to print or save your driving summary which you can then send to us via post or email. If you wish to provide us with the check code, it is best to email it, but you can tell us it over the phone. Please note that it is case-sensitive. We use this along with the last eight digits of your driving licence number to generate the information.
The check code is only valid for 21 days after it is generated, so we will need to receive it beforehand.
You can find the relevant team’s contact details on our Contact Us page.
Unfortunately, we are not able to complete this process for you as we are not legally allowed to have or use your National Insurance number.
For more information on getting your driving licence summary, please visit our FAQs page. You can also contact the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 for further help.
Plan Insurance Brokers is an independent, market leading commercial insurance brokerage. We arrange high quality cover and provide intelligent insurance solutions to UK businesses and have done so for 30 years. Click here to find out more.