Go Safe Taxi & Private Hire Charter Launched
The taxi and private hire industry have launched a ‘Safe Taxi & Private Hire Charter.’ Designed in the wake of the Covid-19 crisis it aims to encourage operators to promote their adherence to best practice when it comes to hygiene and social distancing. The initiative, created in collaboration by dispatch software system providers Autocab, Cordic and iCabbi, has already had 200 firms sign up.
The Licensed Private Hire Car Association(LPHCA) is also behind the effort to make the door-to-door services provided by taxi, private hire and chauffeur firms one of the safest ways to travel post-lockdown. Operators are being encouraged to promote their adherence to the Charter and the measures that it encompasses at their premises, where licensing permits inside and outside of their vehicles and within their marketing output.
The website Go Safe Taxi explains that “The Safe Taxi & Private Hire Charter is a promise by the UK Private Hire Taxi and Mini-Cab industry to adhere to the very highest standards of sanitation.” By signing up for the Charter companies are making a “Pledge to do everything you can operationally to protect your customers and help your drivers to create and maintain a safe environment.”
The Safe Taxi & Private Hire Charter
The website requires every firm that signs up to the Charter to click to confirm that it understands that it is vowing to deliver the following procedures, that will be implemented at all times by all staff and drivers:
- Social Distancing guidelines will be followed by the Driver.
- Drivers will have no physical contact with the passenger. (Unless in an emergency situation or if a passenger requests assistance)
- Hand sanitisers will be provided to all drivers and customers. Drivers will sanitise their hands regularly.
- Option to pay by card through Passenger app or other means, to avoid drivers and passengers handling cash.
- Vehicles that have a shield installed will be regularly cleaned and sanitised.
- Drivers will wear clean clothes each day, be well-presented and maintain impeccable personal hygiene.
- Drivers will wear PPE in line with the latest government guidelines.
- The Passenger area of the vehicle will be wiped down and cleaned with sanitiser regularly.
- The Driver will conduct a weekly inspection and deep clean of their vehicle.
- Signage to be displayed, (where available and where licensing permits) to convey safety and sanitation messages in and out of the vehicle.
As lockdown continues to ease its crucial for the industry that passengers have confidence in both the vehicle and drivers’ awareness of cleanliness in order to help prevent the spread of the disease. Drivers that operate black taxis have a distinct advantage as the passengers are separated via the vehicles’ screen. Yet, there are clearly some very simple and effective measures that can be taken to provide reassurance regardless of whether a temporary screen is installed. These actions have been firmed up and consolidated into this easy to understand Charter that can be communicated to potential customers for the benefit of all within the industry and soceity by helping to limit the spread of this lethal virus.
Find out why 96% of our customers have rated us 4 stars or higher by reading our reviews on Feefo.